Just because you have hypertension or HBP (high blood pressure) it may be possible to still get the best term life insurance rates. I will outline a few important points and tips on how to get the best rates and premiums in this post.
Factors that will affect your underwriting decision:
- Your current age
- Date you were diagnosed
- What medications and treatment has your Doctor prescribed
- Response to any treatment
- Current readings for the last 2 years (to show that you are stable and compliant)
- Any other health issues, like heart disease, stroke etc.
How to help your agent or broker get the best life insurance rates and speed up the underwriting process:
- Your doctor records will be required, the carrier typically orders these
- Records of blood pressure readings (should be in your Dr.’s records)
- Any cardiac history records
- Make a case for your current health such as (how much you exercise, your great diet, the new job you took to improve your health and lifestyle, etc. you understand right?)
Now a lot of these kind of issues can typically be controlled by just making minor modifications in your lifestyle. Some of you may just need a new job period end of story, our career’s put an enormous amount of pressure on our health. What you eat is a huge determining factor also cutting out your sodium intake can help. Getting in great shape can and probably will do the trick for most people.
Your Doctor can help you design a regimen to get in better shape and get your hypertension under control.
After the carrier underwrites your case this is what you may expect? Depending on how bad your condition is you may still be able to obtain the better rate classes for the preferred risks. If you can show that your HBP is well controlled and compliant with your Doctors recommendations.