Who knew that a form of entertainment like playing top video games would improve the minds of the gamers that play them! Amid all the amazing graphis, wonderful music, and the addictive plots in video games, educational opportunities are present, and to locate them you only need to pay close attention and look a bit closer.
1. Video games improve strategic thinking. Unusual is the video game that does not need the player to decide plays two or three steps ahead of the immediate situation. With constant play, players quickly learn the advantage of strategic thinking and they start to apply it to actual world opportunities.
2. Video games can help improve problem solving skills. Although the same could be said about any game, video games have proven in study after study to improve problem-solving skills. This is due to most games being centered on a problem and the challenge it presents a play to solve it. In onlyone game, a gamer can be required to solve up to a hundred different problems.
3. Video games improve hand and eye coordination. If you are skepitical about this, simply pick up a video game controller and attempt to move around the game. Maneuvering the game controller requires the same or better skills then it requires to manipulate a mouse around a computer screen.
4. Video games facilitate quick decision-making. One quality of video games that lends to quick decision making is its impromptu situations. There is always the element of surprise around the corner and it makes games intriguing to play. To win players need to make intelligent decision quickly.
5. Video games feed the imagination. We don’t really understand the argument against things like television, videos, and gaming where people use the lack of imagination to support their part of the debate. Some people claim that video games take away from the imagination because games supply the mind with things instead of encouraging the mind to come up with these things on their own. Bear in mind that these are the same people who say a stack of blocks is sufficient to grow a child’s imagination. Of course we couldn’t disagree more. The imagery in video games only fuels the imagination and gives it a spring board to form new possibilities that might not have occurred otherwise.
6. Video games are also a great way to encourage exploration. In role playing games, the players must learn to leave the known path and explore the unknown. Players must open doors never knowing what lies behind them. They have to enter areas of the game without knowing the consequence. And they have to interact with characters that they’ve never met before. Inside these particular kinds of games, the opportunity to gather up the courage to explorer unknown territory isn’t just available, it’s required.
7. Video games will reinforce memorization. Another feature of video games is its strong influence on memorization. The terraine represented in some video games is extremely large, however accessing the maps can be disruptive to the game. To make up for this, gamers will memorize a portion of terrain and the tasks required to get to certain areas.
8. Video games teach consequence. Video games, like computer games, operate off an action/reaction principle. Do something, and the game will react. This is a great opportunity to learn about consequence – whether this opportunity is experienced from a gamer’s point of view or a programmer’s point of view.
9. Video games teach endurance, patience, and dedication. No great game can be conquered in a day. Some of the top video games can take weeks or months to complete.
These are just a few of the eductional opportunities hidden away inside computer and top video games. With closer exploration, we are positive you will find more then hours of fun and amazement.